These days, an increasing number of individuals opt to put their wealth into gold and other precious metals, which inevitably raises questions about how to safeguard their valuable jewelry. Therefore, this article will demonstrate tips for ensuring your jewelry's safety.
Note: Jewelry often attracts the attention of home burglars. Be sure to explore our extensive guide on how to burglar-proof your home.
How to Secure Precious Jewelry From Theft
Theft can pose a significant concern for jewelry owners since jewelry's small size and lightweight nature make it easy to overlook. Jewelry can "slip away" when the owner is distracted.
Designate a location for your jewelry
The place where you put the jewelry should be easily accessible, and the location should be somewhat secluded, usually in a closet in the main bedroom. You can select the place where you can regularly check it. This will allow you to know the condition of your jewelry and maintain it in the best condition.
Store jewelry in a safe
Placing your jewelry in one safe helps protect it from environmental influences that can cause it to lose its original luster and acts as a strong shield against thieves when they violently dismantle it. The casing is generally made of sturdy materials highly resistant to corrosion, fire, and water.
Be cautious when traveling
When you travel with jewelry, it's important not to keep it in your checked baggage. Instead, make sure to either keep it on your person or stow it in your carry-on bag.
It's also a good idea to keep your jewelry in a hard-shell case to prevent damage and tear during the trip. Remember to check your jewelry before you set out to ensure it's in tip-top shape. And it would be best if you took more measures to mitigate the risk of losing and damaging your jewelry.
When traveling, please be aware of your surroundings, and don't flaunt your jewelry. Thieves usually target tourists with attractive and expensive jewelry.
Install security system
Installing a home smart security system can be an effective way to protect your jewelry. For example, you can monitor where you place the jewelry all day through security cameras. In a home burglary, the footage from your camera can provide valuable evidence. Smart motion sensors can detect every movement from the perimeter of the jewelry safe and send the data to the homeowner's phone.
How to Ensure Your Precious Jewelry From Rusting
It is usual for jewelry to rust, caused by moisture and temperature changes in different environments. Read on to check out more about how you can prevent rusting on your jewelry.
- Put lotion on your jewelry. The cream creates a barrier between your skin and the jewelry, which prevents moisture on the skin from contacting directly with the metal.
- Apply a sealant spray. There are a variety of sealant sprays; some are silicone-based, and some contain many alternative ingredients. Spraying a sealant on your jewelry and letting it dry creates a barrier and protects it from water and oxygen.
- Use clear nail polish. You can also put clear nail polish on jewelry such as bracelets and brooches. And remember to add the polish periodically. While nail polish may fade occasionally, it creates another barrier between your skin, jewelry, and the environment. This process also prevents costume jewelry from oxidizing and turning your skin green.
How to Protect Your Jewelry From Tarnishing
Jewelry is a fantastic way to give your clothing a special touch, but it can be annoying when it becomes dull and tarnished because nobody enjoys seeing their jewelry lose its shine. Here are some easy steps to keep your jewelry from tarnishing.
- Keep jewelry in a cool, dry area when not using them. Tarnish-prone jewelry is vulnerable to moisture and contaminants. And remember to put them in a drawer or storage box will help keep it luster.
- Separate each piece of jewelry. Adding dividers to your jewelry storage box or placing pieces in small plastic bags will help prevent scratches that expose the metals beneath plated jewelry.
- Don't expose your jewelry directly under the sunlight or high temperature. High temperatures can accelerate the speed of tarnishing and oxidation.
- Keep your jewelry away from water and chemicals. For example, cosmetics, hairspray, and perfume may contain water and chemicals. You should wear jewelry after applying your makeup, and remember to clean each piece at the end of the day.
Bonus Tips: Factors to Consider When Choosing the Right Jewelry Safe
Storing your jewelry in a safe can be the most effective way to keep it from theft. When choosing the right jewelry safe, you can consider the following factors.
The lock of jewelry safes can be categorized into electronic keypad lock and mechanical combination dial. Each of them has its characteristics and functions.
- Electronic keypad locks: They are user-friendly since they are straightforward to operate. Users save 30 to 60 seconds on average in opening a keypad lock compared to a mechanical combination lock. Furthermore, users can set up the password or code, enhancing your property's security.
- Mechanical combination dials: While mechanical combination locks may take longer to unlock than keypad locks, they are considered more reliable because their mechanical structure experiences less failure. Electronic keypad locks may not work when they lack power. Mechanical combination dials also have the advantage of lower maintenance fees, which could alleviate the economic burden of a family.
Jewelry often consists of precious metals and gemstones that high temperatures can damage or destroy. Fire protection ensures that your valuable jewelry remains intact in a fire. So look for safes with higher fireproof ability.
Burglary resistance (Tool resistance)
Many high-security safes are labeled for the theft and fire protection they provide. TL ratings refer to the time the safe can withstand sophisticated criminal attacks. Here are the various TL ratings and their meanings:
- RSC (Residential Security Container): The door of RSC safes can resist entry for 5 minutes when attacked against rigorous prying, drilling, punching, chiseling, and tampering attacks by UL technicians.
- TL-15 (Tool Resistant for 15 Minutes): The door of TL-15 safe successfully resisted entry for 15 minutes when attacked with standard hand tools, picking tools, electric tools, grinding points, carbide drills, or pressure-applying devices.
- TL-30 (Tool Resistant for 30 minutes): The door of TL-30 safe successfully resisted entry for 30 minutes when attacked with standard hand tools, picking tools, electric tools, grinding points, carbide drills, pressure applying devices, abrasive cutting wheels, and power saws.
- TL-30×6 (Tool Resistant for 30 minutes, all 6 sides): All six sides of this type of safe successfully resisted entry for 30 minutes when attacked with standard hand tools, picking tools, electric tools, grinding points, carbide drills, pressure-applying devices, abrasive cutting wheels, and power saws.
UL: The organization(Underwriters Laboratories) has tested a UL-rated safe to determine how long it can withstand thief attacks. UL-rated safes are among the most secure safes available.
When deciding to purchase a jewelry safe, it is essential to choose the right size. A locker-sized safe will not only provide more sense of security for the owner, but it will also be able to store more jewelry. You also have to ensure enough space to keep the safe. If the room is insufficient, it is inevitable to bump when moving the safe, which may damage the jewelry in the safe.
Those who want to travel with their jewelry can invest in a portable jewelry safe. Remember that the larger the safe, the more difficult it is to hide it in plain sight.
Should I keep jewelry in a jewelry safe?
Yes, you should. The jewelry safes are designed to keep your valuables categorized and safe. In other words, they will ensure your baubles are "dust-free, visible, and safe." Also, some jewelry safes are fashionable enough to be placed on your closet or bookshelf as beautiful decorations.
Will jewelry tarnish in a jewelry safe?
Yes, it will. The best way to store delicate pieces and fine jewelry is in their original case or soft-lined jewelry safes. However, a high-humidity environment may accelerate the tarnishing process of the jewelry. Also, the jewelry safe is not sealed, so there will be airflow with water, which may cause jewelry tarnishing.
What material is typically used to line the interior of a jewelry box?
Velvet is made from silk, rayon, or cotton (commonly called velveteen). This material usually has a deep pile to cushion fine jewelry. In the meantime, Flannel (either wool or cotton) is also a good choice.
Can I store jewelry in a wooden safe?
Yes, you definitely can do that. Wooden safe is functional, beautiful, and affordable. Storing valuables or jewelry in a wooden safe is an excellent way to categorize them and keep them in good shape. Unlike plastic or metal safes, wooden safes won't cause chemical reactions with the materials of the jewelry.
Keeping your jewelry safe can be easy if you use practical methods. However, if you treat them cursorily, they will give you a "blow" in values. Promoting the installation of security equipment and raising awareness go hand in hand. We hope this article can be helpful to you. Do you have ways to protect your jewelry? Tell us in the comment section below, and please share this article with your family and friends if you find it useful.
If your are looking for other ways to safeguard your property, check the following posts.