Want to hide outdoor and indoor security cameras?
You will learn all possible solutions here including how to hide security cameras outdoors, indoors, in a window, etc. with pictures and videos, get bonus tips on hiding security camera wires outside and the DVR/NVR at home, and meet the best hidden security cameras for outdoors and home.
With only 5 minutes to learn some practical tricks, you could enjoy all the following benefits of hidden security cameras – with no legal issues (Click here for information):
- Hiding security cameras can rule out the possibility that your cameras be spotted and disabled by burglars;
- Wireless hidden outdoor security cameras will never be an eyesore and destroy the aesthetics of your house compared with the cameras in plain view;
- WiFi hidden security cameras for home help you to find out what your nanny is really doing.
So start here now to explore the best solution to hide CCTV cameras and make your own hidden security system without anyone’s suspicion!
- How to Hide Security Cameras Outdoors & Indoors
- Bonus Tips for Hidden Security Cameras
- Outdoor/Indoor Hidden Security Cameras Best Buy
Within the law, there are several things you can do to hide your security cameras both outdoors and indoors:
1. Get A Professional Spy Camera or Dark-Colored Mini Camera
The best way to hide security cameras outside/inside is to get a spy or small security camera directly. You don’t have to make extra effort in making them invisible since they are mostly designed into outdoor lamps, alarm clocks or charge adapters.
You’ll find various types of hidden outdoor cameras featured with night vision, Wi-Fi connection, audio, app, etc. A good example is the outdoor lights with the motion activated camera which can provide a level of protection when the light comes on.
For indoor use and more advanced features, like remote viewing and push notifications for iPhone/Android, you should opt for the standalone security camera for home with special designs to hide, such as the dark-colored mini camera Reolink Keen. Battery powered with black skin, the tiny wireless hidden camera with audio and night vision could easily blend in with its surroundings.
With the hidden cameras coming in all shapes, sizes and price ranges, you can easily find the spy cameras that suit your specific needs (for cars, baby room, garage, office or workplace) by referring to their reviews. Do make sure they are available in your country (say US, UK, Canada, Australia, NZ, Germany, Pakistan, India, etc.) if you purchase online.
2. Camouflage Security Cameras with the Bush/Eave/Ceiling/Window
If you are observant enough, you could definitely find some inconspicuous spots around your house that seem to be designed for hiding outdoor security cameras. Here are some sneaky places you may try:
- Hide home security cameras under the eaves: Most mini dome cameras are practically invisible if mounted under the eaves. Since the camera is small and the dome cover is white, unless you really look for it, you will not see it.
- Conceal outdoor security cameras in the bird house: The traditional bird house is a good place to hide security cameras. The enclosed style with just a small hole in the front allows the camera to capture videos outside and offers a level of security for vandalism at the same time.
Note: Make sure there are no obstacles blocking the cameras’ view so that the outdoor hidden security camera could capture what you want.
- Hide surveillance cameras near the trees and brushes: The branches and leaves can be good disguises for the hidden outdoor security cameras. It could be more difficult to tell the cameras if you paint them to match the trees and brushes. There is a DIY enthusiast who painted the RLC-423 with camouflaged color and used it as a hunting camera in the wild. Could hardly spot the camera at the first sight, right?
This gives us a brilliant idea to hide the security camera wires outside. If you find it hard for you, just turn to the battery wireless hidden camera instead with no wires at all.
- Put hidden security cameras behind a glass window: This location is rather covert to hide a home security camera. Even if the camera is spotted by burglars, it is hard to be disabled – at least it takes time to do so. When burglars finally get the camera, the footage and images will have been sent to your devices already.
Note: Using a hidden security camera for home to record through windows may affect the camera’s performance in night vision and motion detection. I will explain how to correctly hide security cameras in a window in details (Click here to jump to that part).
3. Creative Decorations & DIY to Build Hidden Security Camera System
If you want to hide outdoor security cameras and there is no bird box, trees or brushes in place, you could always build a hidden security camera housing to conceal a camera.
No idea about how to hide a home security camera? There are common items in your house that could help to hide a security camera inside which include book shelves, smoke detectors, desk plants, tissue boxes, stuffed teddy bears, etc.
In case the intruders may detect the hidden cameras in some common items and hide from them, you should know some less conspicuous items in your home as well. These include gym bags, purses, DVD cases, air filter equipment, eyeglasses, lava lamps, buttons or a Phillips screwdriver.
It is advised to have more than one camera in place and set up a hidden security camera system.
Hard to think about how to hide your camera among the things you already own? Make one by yourself! Perhaps an artificial plant is the first thing that comes up to your mind. Follow this teaching video from Gadget Addict in Youtube and you will make it.
4. Use Camouflage Skins to Make Your Own Hidden Security Camera
With different colored skins available for security cameras, you could successfully hide security cameras even in plain sight: Just dress them with a suitable skin to make it blend in its surroundings.
For example, when you want a wireless hidden security camera for front door, just dress the camera with the white skin and place it under the eaves or ceilings. And you are also free to change its skin with the black or camouflage one to suit its specific surrounding. Only a really discerning eye would recognize it.
You might have some questions about how to creatively make your own hidden security camera. Read the FAQs and answers to get insights into hiding your security cameras.
#1. Where to place your home hidden security camera?
Beside the eaves, brushes, bird house for outdoors and the shelves, toy boxes and desk plants for indoors, as I suggested before, it will be more secret to hide security cameras in a DIY housing.
Read this to get more ideas about where to place home security cameras.
#2. How to hide security camera wires outside?
The best way for hidden security camera wires arrangement is to get a wire-free hidden camera, which has no cables at all. And that will save your time. If your spy security camera does have wires, follow this detailed guide for running camera wires (BNC/power/Ethernet cables).
As I mentioned above, if you place the security camera behind a window, you will have to compromise in its motion detection (for cameras with PIR motion sensor) and night vision function.
To solve these problems, you need to get a security camera with software-based motion detection for accurate alerts and install external infrared illuminators or visible light for night vision.
What to do to successfully hide the camera in window exactly? Read these bonus tips of using security cameras through a glass window.
#4. How to hide the DVR/NVR of your hidden camera?
There are several sneaky places to hide a security camera DVR/NVR including the attic, inside the walls, the closet, the bookshelf, the possible crawlspace, etc. You may also use a DVR/NVR locker if necessary.
And remember, most of the NVRs or DVRs on the market are not waterproof so you need to avoid the rain or other pouring water when you hide them outside.
Find more tips to prevent DVR/NVR from being stolen here.
Generally speaking, you can record videos with a hidden camera for both home and outdoors. But do not record in areas where people have a reasonable expectation of privacy, like the bathroom.
Before you hide a security camera, it’s advised to speak to an attorney about the specific ways you plan to use the camera and the locations you’d like it to be installed.
A right security camera will save you much trouble when you want to hide it. If you are looking for a wireless security camera with audio, sound, PIR sensor, night vision and SD card for your car, apartment or business, you may try Reolink Argus 2 – an affordable mini hidden security camera.
It is wire-free, and therefore you do not need to worry about how to hide the security camera cables. More than that, you can place the cameras in whatever place you want without wire limitation. For example, you may hide it in the plant ports, full shelves, toy boxes, or even mount it on the ceilings.
With white, black and camouflage skins, the mini spy security camera Reolink Argus 2 could easily blend in with various surroundings like your front door, backyard and indoor environment.
Tired of traveling a long way to find a quality hidden security camera at Walmart? Reolink Argus 2 enjoys free shipping worldwide including US, UK, Canada, Australia, Germany, NZ, etc.