Want to know the full form of CCTV cameras and how they work?
You are in the right place. This blog covers what CCTV cameras are, how they work, the typical uses and other aspects you care about.
- What Is the Full Form of CCTV Cameras
- Fun with CCTV Cameras
- How Do CCTV Cameras Work
- What Are the Types of CCTV Cameras
- What Are the Purposes of CCTV Cameras
The CCTV full form is closed-circuit television. It is a system in which video signals transmit within connected devices like CCTV cameras, monitors and recorders (optional).
Accordingly, the full form of CCTV cameras is closed-circuit television cameras. Due to the extensive application of CCTV systems in security industry, CCTV cameras mainly refer to security cameras for home and business surveillance.
1. The earliest documented application of the CCTV camera system dates back to 1942. Walter Bruch, a noted German engineer, designed and installed the system that used CCTV cameras to observe the launch of V2 rockets on monitors.
2. A majority of CCTV cameras are IP cameras that connect to the Internet and can work without space limitation. You can not only link your security cameras within a limited area as before, but also access them remotely . That means CCTV cameras are not “closed-circuit” anymore.
3. People in different countries call security cameras as different names, like surveillance cameras or IP cameras. The British prefer to use “CCTV cameras” when they mention security cameras.
Note: Below are other important abbreviations related with CCTV cameras for your information.
- PTZ CCTV camera full form: pan/tilt/zoom closed-circuit television camera
- CCTV camera DVR full form: closed-circuit television camera digital video recorder
- CCTV camera NVR full form: closed-circuit television camera network video recorder
- PIR CCTV camera full form: passive infrared closed-circuit television camera
- PoE CCTV camera full form: Power over Ethernet closed-circuit television cameras
- IR CCTV camera full form: infrared closed-circuit television cameras
The CCTV camera system at first only consists of security cameras and monitors. Afterwards, various recording units come out for video storage and review.
A CCTV camera system, with full form in English as closed-circuit television camera system, is showed in the following diagram.
Security cameras are used to capture light stream through the lens. After years of development, surveillance cameras can provide higher resolution images and clearer audio.
Even in total darkness at night, security cameras with color night vision technologies can also see clear images in true color.
Moreover, most CCTV cameras equipped with motion detection sensors can trigger alarms when there are human movements. They are a dependable safeguard against burglary and theft.
After capturing videos or audios, CCTV surveillance cameras transmit signals to the security camera recorders for documenting and replaying key moments. DVRs or NVRs are often employed in the CCTV camera system, realizing 24/7 reliable recording.
Besides, some high-end closed-circuit television cameras (the full form for CCTV cameras), also come with a micro SD card (slot) for local storage of motion events when they are detected.
Video clips recorded in the DVRs/NVRs or SD cards can be replayed anytime in your mobile phones, computers or TV monitors, even if you are far away.
CCTV cameras have various classifications according to different factors.
For example, in terms of signal transmission mediums, CCTV surveillance cameras can be divided into:
- Analog CCTV cameras
- IP CCTV cameras
- Cellular surveillance cameras
- PoE surveillance cameras
- WiFi surveillance cameras
- You can choose one kind of CCTV cameras that adapts to a certain scenario. For example, in the places without the router network such as in the RVs, boats and vacation home or even in the wild, the 4G LTE security cameras are often employed.
And you can use PoE security cameras or WiFi security cameras in areas with WiFi or Internet like your driveways, gateways or storefronts.
Besides, CCTV cameras can be classified in view of other factors such as the power sources or shapes. More specific categories and their features or prices can be found in this insightful blog.
CCTV cameras, the abbreviation of closed-circuit television cameras, are applied in wide range for different purposes.
1. Crime Prevention and Detection
The primary use of a closed-circuit television camera (the CCTV camera of full form) is warning and deterring burglars, thieves and other criminals.
For example, Reolink Argus® 2 has a PIR motion detector and a built-in siren alarm. When detecting invaders’ movements, it can trigger siren sounds that are effective deterrents for the crime.
At the same time, Argus 2 would send instant push notifications or emails to your mobile phone for you to take response actions and protect your properties.
Watch the video below shared by a Reolink Argus® 2 user.Reolink Argus® 2
100% Wire-Free Starlight Camera
Rechargeable Battery & Solar Powered; Outdoor/Indoor Protection; 1080 Full HD; Starlight Night Vision; 2-Way Audio; Live View Anytime Anywhere.
2. Taking Care of Elders, Children & Pets
Many families use closed-circuit television cameras, the full form of CCTV cameras, in home to keep track of elders, children or pets. After appropriate setup, you can check in CCTV cameras if elders fall down, children arrive home safely or pets eat food on time.
3. Business Use
Monitoring of critical areas such as storefronts, offices or warehouses mainly requires the system of closed-circuit television (the CCTV long form) to take care of your properties or improve employees’ productivity.
No matter you own small or big businesses, with or without Internet access, you can get inspired about which is the most suitable security camera in this blog.
4. Traffic Use
The main cities do experience huge traffic congestion or accidents. The CCTV cameras, which stand for the closed-circuit television cameras, can then be installed along the streets so as to indicate the congested roads or automatically record car accidents.
Bonus: Click here to explore more interesting and incredible uses of CCTV surveillance cameras.
If you have any other ideas about CCTV meaning in the security industry, its types and uses, please feel free to leave comments below.
Unlike analog systems, evolving IP security cameras have become the mainstream in security industry by sharp and crystal images, easy remote access, flexible installation and affordable prices, which offers you superior protection, convenience and peace of mind.
Moreover, on the basis of network connection way, there are